Monday, June 30, 2014

"Who Are You?"

Scripture: Exodus 3:13-14 "Then Moses said to God, 'Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they say to me, "What is His name?" what shall I say to them?' And God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM.' And He said, 'Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, "I AM has sent me to you."'"

Observation: The name that God gives to Moses for Himself is one of the most significant things in the entire Bible. "I AM" is the Hebrew word transliterated as haya (with a couple of cool marks above both a's) and as it pertains to God it simply means "to exist".

God just exists. He has no beginning or end. He doesn't even experience moments passing.  He doesn't require the decision-making processes that we do because He never learns any knowledge of experience or of past or present. His decisions have always occurred. He is not supported by anything.

There are no needs for God. He doesn't need the universe to exist, or us. He lacks no thing. The trinity is a perfect relationship and needs no external compliments. He has no bounds for bounds are part of a physical existence. He simply exists. We humans are completely unable to truly grasp His being (which is the point of Psalm 145:3).

Application: Why was this God's answer and why is it significant to me? Moses' question was a search for confidence. God's answer is simply this: "You can be sure of what I am saying because I am He who is so beyond all created things and so in control of all created things that if I want something done, it happens. Nothing can resist My will."

Rest in the shadow of a God who is unstoppable, who cannot be deterred, and who is unchangeably on my side as I go about doing His business and walking in nearness to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment