Saturday, June 28, 2014

Parting Words of Paul

Scripture: Romans 16:17-20 “ Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.”

Observation: These are some of Paul’s final thoughts in the letter. He is summing up the concerns that has been behind much of the theology of the first fourteen chapters. His heart felt outpouring reveals a couple things.

First, Paul would never ascribe to the anti-emotion rhetoric that sometimes echoes in theological talks these days. Similar to the differentiation between money being the root of all kinds of evil verses the love of it being the root of all kinds of evils, so also a biblical perspective on human emotions cannot demonize emotions absolutely.

Second, Paul’s theology and his emotions are consistent. In the first thirteen or so chapters, he explored a gospel that reveals a God who loves me, teaches of my desperate need for forgiveness and that has the power to change lives. Then Paul spent the last two or three chapters pouring out his heart for fellow believers and for the lost. Here in today’s four verses he gives five warnings or concerns in the manner of a true, loving father or mentor. He reminds them of:
1.     The influence of those who cause division.
2.     The faith of those that are weak in their doctrinal understanding (2 Timothy 2:15, 1 Timothy 4:15 and Psalm 119:9-11)
3.     The influence of good works.
4.     The influence of evil works.
5.     Their perseverance.

Application: Continue to discern the good and bad influences in my life. In this area, the enemy of the God's best is not the worst... it's the good. Study the Word to protect myself and to protect and encourage others. Fellowship with the church, pursuing unity and encouragement, to ensure our mutual perseverance.


Prayer: Lord, I know that even with your grace sustaining me my faith is tender. So is the faith of others. Help me to remember that I’m in a battle. Satan and the angels with him are real and they  hate me and every other person. They want us to fail. Please teach me steadfastness. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment