Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Mission And The Master

Scripture: Romans 15:30 "Now I beg you, brethren, through the Lord Jesus Christ and through the love of the Spirit, that you strive together with me in prayers to God for me."

Observation: In verse 30 Paul asks the church to pray. Verses 31-33 describe what he desires the content of their prayers to be - it's his prayer list, if you will. I think I need to learn from this.

Here's the heart of what Paul asks for prayers for:
1. that he could be delivered from the Jews that were fighting against the gospel (those that he was once numbered among...).

2. that his service in delivering the gifts to the poor Christians in Jerusalem would be found acceptable to the church at large (especially those that received and those that gave).

3. that Paul could finally come to them in Rome (in other words, that God would extend Paul's evangelical mission to Rome).

4. that they would finally be able to fellowship over their common faith (and I believe, as with all things that Paul does, he is also driving at the ministering of him to them and vice versa as a "refreshing" to their spirits (i.e. service to the body of Christ and the exercising of spiritual gifts brings strengthening and refreshing to my faith).

First of all, Paul's four requests are ultimately about God's glory.
1. Paul wants to be delivered from haters of God (John 15:18-25) so that the gospel can be preached so that God is glorified (Ephesians 1:3-6; Philippians 1:20-25; 1 Corinthians 1:23-29).

2. He knows that if his service is honorable, the believers will thank and glorify God more.

3. Paul wants the gospel to spread more (to Rome and to Spain) for God's glory.

4. Finally, fellowship and Christian ministering/service are God's plan to bring God's people closer to Him (John 3:21-24).

Second, I think Paul spent so much time in the letter to the Romans teaching "salvation by faith alone" because he knew that any thinking which was contrary to that crucial doctrine would undermine the pleads he would make for their unity in chapters 9-15. If I peel additional layers back on Paul's point, he had to establish their unity so that they could be united behind the cause of the spreading the good news about Jesus Christ.

So, at its core, the entire letter is Paul's action call to the Great Commission for the purpose of magnifying our Great Commissioner.

Application:
1. My life ought to be 100% about the glory of God.

2. The unity of believers behind the gospel is of utmost importance.  Make it a priority in my life.

3. Get active in the spread of the awesome news of my Savior, Jesus.

Prayer: Father, I want Your fame to spread and increase. Please turn my heart toward loving other believers more, valuing service in Your church and committing to unashamedly share the gospel. I love You. Teach me to love You better! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment