Friday, June 27, 2014

The Value Of Being A Master Craftsman

Scripture: Romans 16:19 "...but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil."

Observation:
"wise" - Greek sophos: skilled, expert in something (especially artisan skills), forming the best plans and using the best means for the execution.
"simple" - Greek akeraios: unmixed; literally, pure as in wines or metals; figuratively, of the mind, free of evil, innocent.

I knew a man once who had very little intention of pursuing holiness. He professed Christ as Lord. He told me that by remaining in and struggling with sin he was a better witness to unbelieving people; he was able to relate with them and they were more open to talk to him. Was this a good thing?

At the time I was unsure, but the Scripture says the answer is "no". The important thing is that "why".

First, as we walk in faith and pursue a holy lifestyle God will bring victory over sin (i.e. He'll sanctify us). This is the point of verse 20.

Second, there are also the dangers or consequences of being "skilled" in evil. Being wise in evil:
1. Means not being wise in good things. They are mutually exclusive on a real-time basis.
2. Creates stumbling blocks for me (and others).
3. Creates "friendships with the world" (see James 4:4).
4. Breaks fellowship with God.
5. Divides the church over sin.
6. Undermines ministry and serving.
7. Demonstrates that Christ, the Holy Spirit, and the Father have no immediate power or effectiveness over sin.

Application: Look at my life. Remove the time wasters that teach me evil. Like an artisan, approach the craft of holiness and spiritual growth as something that is learned through daily practice, training and apprenticing. Be the student at all times. Teach when possible.

Prayer: Father, I need a ton of humility here. I'm an arrogant, proud man. Purify me and I shall be white as snow. That's Your promise and I cling to it. Help me to set my path straight. I love You! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment