Thursday, June 19, 2014

Give Her Props And Get To Work

Scripture: “I commend to you Phoebe our sister, who is a servant of the church in Cenchrea, that you may receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and assist her in whatever business she has need of you…”

Observation: The Greek word translated “servant” here is transliterated diakonos, which refers to a “deacon” elsewhere. I don’t see any reason to render it as “servant” here. Clearly Paul sees here as a deacon and wants those in Rome to  think the same.

“that you… assist her in whatever business she has need of you…” I love this! Pheobe traveled from Corinth to Rome to deliver this letter, but either before she arrived or afterward she made some other plans for serving the Lord as well.

Application: Continue to challenge any thinking that limilts the role of women beyond what Scripture does. Continue to check any negative views of women and encourage the women in the church to step out into whatever they feel the Lord is calling them. The church of Christ needs all women serving with their Holy Spirit-given spiritual gifts in order for the body of Christ to be complete. More will come on the roles of women later on in this chapter.

I am always on mission for the gospel. Be about that business and aid those who are working for the furtherance of the awesome news of Jesus’ work for us. The world needs Jesus (just saying) and they need to know that God loves them and they need to hear that they need to repent, turn to God and do works befitting repentance (Acts 26:20). I’m the apostle (“one sent”) for that mission. Fulfill that mission.


Prayer: Father, I love you. You are far too good to me. I find daily that I’m good at not being good. But your mercy and grace are abundant and strong. Thank you for loving me beyond my wildest dreams. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment