Tuesday, July 15, 2008

More wisdom... but not from me.

As I read this morning, more stuck out to me about "wise" persons.

Prov 15:31-33 says "31. The ear that hears the rebukes of life will abide among the wise. 32. He who disdains instruction despises his own soul, but he who heeds rebuke gets understanding. 33. The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom, and before honor is humility."

I keep seeing really strongly worded admonitions in Proverbs. Vs. 32 says that someone that refuses to be corrected or instructed about things hates his own soul. They not only fail to gain understanding; it's not a matter of 'can I make good decisions' or not.

One of my favorite verses of late is Proverbs 12:1 (easy to remember) "Whoever loves instructions love knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid" That's right - stupid! It's the same in the NIV and KJV (& NKJV). That's a word we all try to teach our kids to not say because it is plain offensive, but do I take correction - no, do I seek correction and instruction? Do you? If not, we're stupid. The rest of Proverbs is really clear on what happens to people that fail to be corrected.

But then it's the pride of being right and not needing help that causes a lot of our cultures issues. "Sure I'm an alcoholic, but I can take care of it myself." "I know whether I should by this house or not, I don't need to get advise." "Why wouldn't I take advantage of this great investment deal - it'll make me money." "Only my wife and I know whether we should have more kids; what would my parents or friends know about it." "I don't need parenting advise."

And on the flip side, what advise are we giving those that do seek it? Are we ear-pleasers? If we aren't renewing our minds with God's word, then we can't help but give a worldly response.

No comments:

Post a Comment