Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Election research

I was looking at Barrack Obama's website today to find out where he stands on different issues. Here's a quote from the Call to Renewal address that he gave.

"[Conservative leaders] need to understand the critical role that the separation of church and state has played in preserving not only our democracy, but the robustness of our religious practice. Folks tend to forget that during our founding, it wasn't the atheists or the civil libertarians who were the most effective champions of the First Amendment. It was the persecuted minorities, it was Baptists like John Leland…It was the forbearers of the evangelicals who were the most adamant about not mingling government with religion, because they did not want state-sponsored religion hindering their ability to practice their faith…" – Call to Renewal Keynote Address

I have wondered why people call for separation of church and state. It seems to me that if I think my church should not be involved in my government, then (1) I probably don't really believe what I say I do, or (2) I know that what I do believe would exclude and persecute people in its basic tenants.

I can firmly say, without question, that my Christian beliefs would not. My country desperately needs the God of the Bible in its government. The exclusion of God at almost all levels of government has resulted in an increase of every violent crime and the decay of families.

To quote a pastor at our church, the purpose of Thomas Jefferson's personal letter outlining the "wall of separation" between church and state was "to keep the government out of the church, NOT to keep the church out of the government." If you read the link above, you'll see that in the context it does not mean that our faith should be removed from the governmental process.

1 comment:

  1. although i agree that jeffersons comments in his letter which the phrase "seperation of church and state" was coined was with the intention that government should stay out of chruch. i also agree with the obama statement,

    "it was Baptists like John Leland…It was the forbearers of the evangelicals who were the most adamant about not mingling government with religion, because they did not want state-sponsored religion hindering their ability to practice their faith."

    personally i think its a bold statment to say that our government is responsible for the decay of families. is it not our responsibility to follows God's law and forge strong families, parents responsibility? the government may say divorce is ok, it may say gay marriage is ok. despite what the government says i will still bring my child up knowing otherwise and if he grows up beliving otherwise than its my problem not the governments. however, i understand the risk of bringing a child into the world he still gets to make is own choice about what he belives is ok or not despite my best efforts...and im glad to say God gave me that same option as well.

    anyway, sorry for the mini-rant. i hope to see you tomorrow night at the baby bash. Canyon Oaks Apartments' Clubhouse 600 N. Pantano Rd. at 6:30...maybe we can continue this discussion!

    much love

    ReplyDelete