Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Mirage of Goodness

Scripture: Romans 2:29 "but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not the letter; whose praise [literally "Jew"] is not from men but from God."

Observation: Here at the end of the chapter (though not, it seems to me, at the end of the train of thought) Paul hits the core of the self-righteousness resulting from efforts toward obedience to the law. Always men and women are engrossed in the judging and comparing of themselves with a standard, whether it be their family or friend or co-worker or enemy or teacher or student or politician or the wealthy or the poor. On the other hand, if we are judged by the God's moral standard (the Law) we all fail.

The purpose of all our comparison is to measure up, but we always drive toward the wrong goal. We strive toward some imaginary standard contrived in our own minds which, conveniently, normally declares us "good enough."

Instead we should ask the Author and Origin of all that is morally good (who is Himself the very standard) for His verdict on our lives. Then we could humbly accept our failure toward the true standard and plead for mercy. If we do so, God will immediately and joyously smother us in forgiveness, mercy and grace and then we will have our "praise from God."

Application: Duh! Cease from my unrighteous judgment (Matthew 7:1). Lavish blessing on others, distain on my sins, and praise on my God!

Prayer: May I seek the praise that comes from you today and be a true Jew in the spirit. I love you. You are beyond good to me. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. ...or on the flipside when everyone feels that it is their right to judge you and put you in their box and their standards of what they think is right or what you should be like and do...this brings freedom in the way of acceptance. He loves me and accepts me as I am. He made me with my personality, likes and dislikes. I am good enough in Him. :) Good thoughts and perfect for today Dale!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little late! but thanks! I come back to this passage so often.

    ReplyDelete