Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Identity Property of "Nothing"

Scripture: Romans 2:6-9 "who will render to each one according to his deeds: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness - indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil,"

Observation: This portion of the chapter seems to be a "salvation by works" support. But I believe Paul's statements have to be understood in the lens of two things: (1) he's writing to Jews in this chapter, and perhaps all th
e way to chapter 4; and (2) Paul means, when he says "in doing good" (vs. 7 and 10), those that in pursuit of righteousness surrender to the gospel. This is supported by verse 8 "who do not obey the truth" and verses 12-16 in their entirety, which effectively includes all people everywhere and makes them guilty before God and incapable of being justified by works.

Application: "Obey the truth" - surrender to the gospel in its daily application of death to myself (Gal 2:20). Be sober-minded and self-controlled that I may seek "glory, honor and immortality" as it is distributed by God by faith.

Grace + Nothing = Forgiveness, Peace and Eternal Life

Prayer: Father, please continue to work in me. Sanctify me. Chasten me. Purify me. Please do these things all for and to your glory and praise that I may be a witness and have a testimony of your exceeding greatness, power, goodness, and love. I love you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment