Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Level Playing Field

Scripture: Romans 2:1 "Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things."

Observation: Paul seems to be addressing self-righteousness and, perhaps, unrealized hypocrisy throughout these passages. Yesterday the SOAP concluded based on verses 6-9 that Paul isn't preaching works-based righteousness or salvation in this chapter.

Beginning in Chapter 1:18 Paul speaks of the wrath to come that will be directed at those stubbornly defiant of God. By the end of Chapter 1 Paul's listeners would be all nodding in agreement. Then for the next 47 verses (through 3:18) Paul turns the tables and directly applies that same wrath and sinfulness to his readers/listeners as well. By the end of it Paul has clearly put all on level ground.

This is also the point of verse 11, "There is no partiality with God." (i.e. The Jews won't be treated special.)

Application: O, how great should be my humility! How deeply should I feel my shame! How sternly do I need to hold to the "goodness, forbearance and long-suffering" of God and be led to repentance!

Prayer: God, I don't even know the extent of my sinfulness and I confess I do the same things that I judge others in. And I confess my judging! Teach me to be free of that, for I know that the greatest shame will come on the day of judgment when you reveal the hidden things. I love you. I fall on your grace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment