Saturday, November 23, 2013

It's More Of a Heart Surgery

Scripture: (I had intended to journal on Romans 2:4, but God caught my attention with) Romans 2:26 "Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirement of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision?"

Observation: The Jew who is trying to follow God would probably reply to this verse that someone who is trying to follow God and "keep the righteous requirement of the law" would therefore also be circumcised in order that he would obey the law in that area as well. Yet Paul is making the clear point that circumcision to God is more than just a physical sign (explicit in vs. 28-29; Gal 6:15; Deut 30:6).

Deuteronomy 30:6 shows that "circumcision of the heart" is not a N.T. idea only. Paul isn't creating a new idea or even using a vogue or culturally-based imagery; he's again pointing out that the gospel fulfills the O.T. prophecy and that neither the Jewish Law or any other self-made laws will not bring eternal life to anyone.

God is concerned about our heart. Does our heart belong to Him? Is He our treasure above all else?

Application: Like the Jew I mentioned, I often get so wrapped up in rules (or the idea that everyone should apply God's word in the same way) that I forget to honor the genuine heart in others that desires to love God.

Prayer: Father, please help me to be circumcised of the heart toward You! I want to be single-hearted and in real relationship with the Lawgiver, not the Law. I love you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment