Friday, April 12, 2013

Leaving A Legacy

Scripture: Genesis 27:6-8 "So Rebekah spoke to Jacob her son, saying, 'Indeed I heard your father speak to Esau your brother, saying, "Bring me game and make savory food for me, that I may eat it and bless you in the presence of the Lord before my death." Now therefore my son, obey my voice according to what I command you.' "

Observations:
1. A lot of things have changed since Chapter 24, verse 67 "... and [Rebekah] became [Isaac's] wife, and he loved her."  Isaac pleaded for children and God granted twins.

2. God had revealed His future plans for the younger one. Sadly, rather than sharing that knowledge with Isaac, Rebekah apparently hid it and worked to manipulate circumstances. I see no reason that would provoke Jacob to barter for the first-born inheritance portion (Chapter 25) unless Rebekah had revealed something of God's plans to him. Sadly, Rebekah and Isaac had grown so far apart that they did not share even revelation from God. 

3. Rebekah's deceit of her husband also makes no sense unless there is great division between them. Chapter 25:28 says Jacob loved to eat the food Esau brought home. At the end of Chapter 26 we see Esau refused his parents wishes concerning his choice of wife (wives). Chapter 27:4 again says that Jacob "loved" wild game. Verses 7, 9, and 14 repeat that fact. Verses 19, 25, and 31 directly connect the blessing to the pre-blessing food.

5. To me, much of the family breakdown is Isaac's doing. I see several reasons for this. The only details we are given concerning Isaac is that he favored Esau. At first thought that isn't too surprising because he was a firstborn; however, Scripture records that the favoritism was owed to the fact that Esau was a hunter - the man's man. Second, Isaac repeated Abraham's sin of deceiving the Philistine leader. Third, Isaac overlooked Esau's obvious disregard for faith in God and following God's precepts (evidenced by his choice of wives).

Application:
1. Love my wife. I think it's interesting that two of the last three journals concerned Scripture's admonishment to treasure Candi and seek to bless her and appreciate her. I'm listening, Lord.

2. I think Isaac allowed his physical desires or enjoyment to cloud his discernment over his act of giving the blessing. Had he considered which of his sons were faithful to God he likely would have blessed Jacob by choice. What appetites do I have that cloud my judgment and hinder faithful obedience to my Lord?

Prayer: Father, thank you for providing Your word which is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness that I may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. Again, teach me to treasure Candi and to follow You whole-heartedly. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment