Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Heartbreak Kid

Well, I just today watch a movie, today, called The Heartbreak Kid starring Ben Stiller. Though there was a lot of funny dialogue and lol parts (especially for reminiscing about the newlywed times), the movie also contained a lot of crude humor and more sexual nudity than I expected. I guess I was willing to get over that but the way they expressed their main idea was too much for me.

Disclaimer - I'm going to ruin the movie in a couple of seconds for those that don't like to know about a movie prior to seeing it.

In the movie, Ben Stiller "finally" gets married in his 40s to someone he's known for 6 weeks. On the honeymoon, she turns out to be a total stranger (after 6 weeks people are only slightly stranger), he meets the "girl of his dreams", and divorces his bride for the other girl. Unfortunately, by the time he gets to the other girl again, she's married. He tries to break up the marriage. Wouldn't you know it, a year later she does leave her new husband for Mr. Stiller and goes to give him the news. Sparks fly when they see each other and they make plans to get together. She exits stage left and he walks over to his new wife of one year and implies to the audience he's going to leave her for the "dream girl."

I still believe there are some things in this world that are sacred. Marriage is one of them. I can understand the need for language, hate, sex, etc. to tell a story in movies. However, I think discrimination is required as to the value of the point that's being made. In this case soundly thrashing marriage for a laugh and a life lesson is a heavily unbalanced scale. Leave it to Hollywood to set low standards and then fail to meet them (and leave it to me to continue giving them my loyalty and money to complete the cycle).

As far as movies go, I would suggest those that value their time, skip this one. The humor isn't that great, the supporting acting is slightly better than I could do (those that have played Cranium with me can testify here), the storyline isn't great at all, and its a few commandments shy of wholesome entertainment. We finished the movie only because I was hoping Hollywood would not completely trampled marriage; that maybe some good would come out of it.

More happened today, but I'll post that another time. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Well..... what else happened? I can't wait this long!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete