Sunday, January 20, 2008

God's day planner

So, the time without the TV has been great, actually. There were a couple of times that wanted to sit down, relax, and watch a movie with Candi. However, after conceding that I wasn't going to carry the TV in, hook it up and go out and get a movie, I then conceded that I actually had things to do. That or I just sat down with one of my kids and spent some quality time.

However, it has brought up a question. How much of our time does God intend us to spend with the traditional American church body? I don't mean that with any sarcasm. Honestly, if I'm not spending my time on useless things, should I replace that time block accomplishing "church" goals? (By church in this instance I mean generally those that I would meet with Sunday mornings and in small groups, because personally I believe my wife and children are just as much of the church as my "church" community)

The book of Acts records the growth of the Christian church and the spread of the gospel of Jesus. However, the huge majority of it just records what Peter, Paul, and their companions did; very little is mentioned of the individual families and how they lived out their faith. Were there city-wide or neighborhood-wide goals? Obviously there were ministries for the poor, widows, and needy (that's recorded). Beyond that, though, what did the formation of the church look like between Monday and Saturday?

Looks like more studying to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment