Sunday, September 28, 2014

Do We Have The Guts To Lie?

Scripture: Exodus 1:19-20 "And the midwives said to Pharaoh, “Because the Hebrew women are not like the Egyptian women; for they are lively and give birth before the midwives come to them.”
 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, and the people multiplied and grew very mighty. And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them."

Observation: I have never read through Scripture to find all the places that the people of God violated not only man's law but also God's law out of fear of God. This isn't often done, I think; though, I could be wrong. Regardless, God blessed them abundantly because they lied to Pharaoh.

These are the characteristics of the situation:
1. Pharaoh was an unrighteous leader of an oppressive government giving orders to sin.
2. The midwives were ordered to do what they knew God would call evil. (Note: the law had not been given other than His command not to murder in Genesis 9:5-7)
3. The choice to lie in this situation must have been a difficult one considering who they were lying to.
4. (Addition 18Oct14) This is another similarity between Moses and Jesus. Both of their lives were in part protected by individuals lying to the ruler of that area.

Application: God is very serious about righteousness. Clearly some things are sinful based solely on the motivation or intent of the person acting (or not acting). All the times I've said lying is always wrong, I was wrong.

A bigger question here is am I willing to stand against the powers, authorities, and laws that direct me to sin so that the right thing is done. I must be in prayer and in the Bible to have understanding sufficient for proper discrimination when those times come.

I need courage.

Prayer: Lord, help me to have the bravery of these midwives. What an amazing example they are. I want your approval on my heart and actions just as it was on theirs. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment