Monday, September 29, 2014

A Firm Foundation

Scripture: Exodus 4:15-16 "Now you shall speak to him and put the words in his mouth. And I will be with your mouth and with his mouth, and I will teach you what you shall do. So he shall be your spokesman to the people. And he himself shall be as a mouth for you, and you shall be to him as God."

Observation: The parallels between what God says here and what Jesus says in John's account of the gospel is uncanny and definitely not coincidental. The words of Jesus come like this:
1. Jn. 14:10 - "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works."

2. Jn. 14:24b - "...and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me."

3. Jn. 14:26 - "But the helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

4. Jn. 16:13-14 - "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will lead you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak...He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you."

Moses was a mediator between God and the people of Israel (Gal. 3:19-20). He was a picture of the coming work that the Father would do through the Son by the Holy Spirit (Jn. 14:25-26; 1 Tim. 2:5, 6).

Application: Trust in the word of God. The inspired Scripture is God's word. The Israelites had to trust that what Aaron said was what the Father had told Moses. Now I must trust that what the apostles wrote is what the Father has given Jesus to speak through the Holy Spirit.

The test of authenticity for the people was whether the things that Moses and Aaron said came to pass. I have seen the Bible's truth and authenticity played out again and again. The Bible, all of it, reflects reality. It is historically accurate and its predictions (prophesies) have come to pass in undeniable ways.

Prayer: Lord, help me to trust your word. Not only to trust it, but to also study it to know what it says. Not only to know it, but also to obey it. Not only to obey it, but also to teach others of its trustworthiness as well. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment