Wednesday, May 14, 2014

I'm Included, He's Included, She's Included, We're Included. Wouldn't You Like To Be Included, Too?

Scripture: Romans 15:13 "Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

Observation: (#3 from the May 6th) The Jews and Gentiles have become equally blessed and have received the promises of God as one people (see Ephesians 2:11-22). This is seen in the repetition of peace, comfort, and hope in verses 4-5.

Verse 13 comes at the end of Paul's train of thought. It is the conclusion of his argument. At the beginning of the chapter Paul focuses on the blessings of God on the Jews. Then he shifts to the promises that God made within the word that the Jews received which describe the blessings of God on the non-Jews. His conclusion based on God's inclusive grace is that, as one people, we should be filled with joy, peace and hope.

Application: At one time the Gentiles dealt with being on the outs in the Christian community. The Jews thought they had it together. They left little room for God's work of grafting in people that the Jews deemed unworthy or unimportant. (Interestingly Paul is writing about this decades after the church was formed and it was still going on - prejudices die hard.) This week look for those types around me - include them. Don't withhold the good news of redemption. Don't judge others with exclusivity or I may judge myself into exclusion of God's mercy.

Prayer: Lord, will You teach me Your kind of grace? Teach me Your kind of love. Teach me to recognize those that I judge as unworthy and then given me the grace to change. I love you! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment