Sunday, May 11, 2014

Does God Really Love Me?

Scripture: Romans 15:9 "and that the Gentiles might glorify God for His mercy."

Observation: (#2 from May 6th) The Gentiles were granted eternal life through Jesus according to the mercy of God, to the glory of God.

Paul talked about the inclusion of the Gentiles in Chapter 11 where he described the means by which God grafted the Gentiles in, namely, the disbelief of the Jews (11:25). Paul also explained the gathering of Gentiles into the kingdom of God by His mercy (11:30).

Romans 11 and 13, along with Ephesians 2 (and surely other passages of NT letters that I don't know about - let alone those from the OT), focus the spot light of understanding onto God's mercy. I ought to take away from the Scriptures the immensity of God's good-will toward me.

Application: The movie Ragamuffin, which is the life story of Rich Mullins (more info here and here) asked the question "Do I believe that God loves me?" If I believe God's word and if I believe the burning love that God must have in order for Him to sacrifice Himself for my preservation and if I truly consider my weakness, my constant compulsion to serve myself, and my powerlessness against that compulsion, then I will be in the right place to also comprehend "what is the width and length and depth and height - to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge" (Ephesians 3:18-19).

Yes, believe God's vast love and outpoured mercy.

Prayer: Your sovereign plan is beyond me. And I certainly don't hold any illusions of self-importance. I know nothing in me prompted Your choice to save me. I'm a product of Your mercy. I'm a benefactor of Your mercy. I'm dependent on Your mercy. How can I not love You?! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment