Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Essentially Nonessential Things

Scripture: Romans 14:14 "I know and am convinced by the Lord Jesus that there is nothing unclean of itself; but to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean."

Observation: This is an extremely bold and broad statement that has always made me stop and question what Paul meant. Does he really mean nothing is unclean of itself? Nothing?! I think the Spirit pointed something out this morning about this.

Contextually Paul is here speaking of how the believers were relating to each other and food and wine and observing "holy" days. Those may seem trivial but it was apparently not trivial to them and the consequences of their disagreement and disunity was not trivial to Paul. I think this was what Paul was referring to when he said "nothing."

I believe that in verse 14 he was speaking to food because Paul never really leaves the topic of food in this chapter. In eight of the 23 verses, before and after verses 14 he speaks of food and how they should relate to other believers with it. And in the immediate context (vs 6-15) Paul speaks only of this issue of food.

Application: It makes little sense to says that there are no inherently sinful things, acts, or thoughts when compared with other Scripture because there is so much talk of such things elsewhere. Paul is not giving a license to do anything as long as my conscience says it's cool. I know that my conscience, even if I'm a believer, can become numb to sin if I ignore the Holy Spirit's convicting.

Prayer: Lord, the challenge for me here is that I tend to judge others. Please free me from that. It hurts my relationships and darkens my witness. I want to be very wise and sensitive about these preferential "beliefs." I really think it prevents me from loving others. And if I find myself in the place of a "strong" one in this sense, I can actually cause someone to abandon a life of faith according to this chapter. I need to protect the conscience of the believers around me... not antagonize them. Thank You for Your grace and mercy and never-ending love. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment