Thursday, April 17, 2014

Lord Of Both The Dead And The Living

Scripture: Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ died and rose and lived again, that He might be Lord of both the dead and the living."

Observation: This verse along with verse 8, when taken out of context, appear to support the idea that every person will be saved eventually. There are some teachers today promoting that idea and they show themselves as the ones that Paul spoke of in 2 Timothy 4:3-4. Rob Bell is of this sort (see his book Love Wins).

The problem is that those weak in understanding believe these things and their flesh is fed through it. What could satisfy the sinful nature's desire to continue in rebellion to God than the idea that God may grant them eternal life and joy even though they commit atrocities or stand in obstinate rebellion? How much of the OT and NT are wasted with warnings to repent and to live holy lives? How short would the Bible be if every admonition was removed that speaks of the pending wrath that is stored up for those who reject God and rage against Him?

God's word can be manipulated to teach universal salvation, but only if the vast amounts of Scripture dealing with God's wrath and coming judgment are ignored.
- Jesus spoke of the judgment and separation of sheep and goats.
- Matthew 11:28-30 records Jesus's prophesy that people (many people) believing they are saved by their works will request access to heaven (expect it, really) and Jesus will command them to depart for He never knew them.
- Revelation 20:14-15 says in the judgment day Death and Hades will be cast into the lake of fire and anyone not found written in the book of life will also be cast into the lake of fire.

Love is my response here, of course. Those that believe this have some reason for wanting to believe it. I really ought to find out what that reason is. I am no one's judge. Rejecting the person who holds to universal salvation will only divide the body (if they are saved) and will also eliminate the possibility for open dialogue on the issue. Or if they aren't saved, it will end the possibility for them to work through their doubts.

Plus, if I judge them as ignorant and pitiable I will also lose the opportunity to be wrong somewhere! So I can either drive away all opposition to my beliefs or I can welcome them and grow from the experience of answering counter-arguments.

Application: The rewards of God are for those that seek God now. Submit to God today. Love Him with all my heart. Surrender all my life. My faith will make Him my Lord and God in this life and the next.

Prayer: Lord, thank you for salvation. By Your grace alone do I believe and mature and move. Use me for Your gory. I want to make You famous! I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment