Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Is It Essential?

Scripture: Romans 14:1 "Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things."

Observation: The Greek word for "doubtful" is "dialogismos" meaning doubtful, but it basically has the sense of something that is disputable, things for which we can have a dialogue over.

There are some things that are not disputable, but the only way for me to know which is which is to read and study God's word enough to know what it says and what it does not say (sometimes the former being more important).

Application: At times I will be one who is weak in the faith and other times I will be the "strong" one. But in both cases, my conscience will guide me to praise God and live for Him (vs 6). I must discriminate (what?! the word tells me discrimination is bad, bad, bad...) between the two - essential and nonessential doctrines. And I must not be a constant arguer. And I must be carefully adamant for the faith (see the whole letter of Jude and 2 Timothy 4:1-5).

Prayer: Father, help me to live for You. Help me to be sensitive to the things that I only hold to out of tradition and personal preference. Help me to study Your word in order to defend the faith. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment