Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Let it rain



Today we are having our first monsoon rains. Actually, it hasn't started raining yet. However, it smells like rain and looks like rain is coming. The cooler temperatures from the clouds and the wind blowing hard makes it feel like rain. I love this time of year. I love the rain even though it does significant damage here in the desert. The stuff that does survive is that much stronger.

I'm pretty sure there is some spiritual truth in all that. If you can find it let me know. I know that when bad storms come in my life, the stuff that is gone after the rain usually didn't need to be there in the first place. I don't know how, but I get attached to the most insignificant things; things that are probably idols in some personal way.

God references water, pure water, fresh springs, rivers of life constantly throughout the NT and OT. It is the thing we are most dependent on for life.
John 4:
10Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
11"Sir," the woman said, "you have nothing to draw with and the well is deep. Where can you get this living water? 12Are you greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did also his sons and his flocks and herds?"
13Jesus answered, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, 14but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life."
15The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water."

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. word, monsoon season is refreshing. as a teacher it's like the start of the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your counter is going backwards.

    I actually got rained on last night. It was great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaime - yeah, me too. It wasn't so great. My new half-helmet doesn't give much protection from the stinging rain. I realized last night that riding in the rain (at about 35 mph) feels like getting a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dc le peau - I never thought of it like that... I suppose that's 'cause I'm not a teacher. Even when I get caught in the rain on my bike I love the rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rain has been nutin' but trouble for me sailin'. Aaaaarg!

    ReplyDelete