Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Marriage

On my way home tonight I saw a car with soap writing on the back window. I assumed it said "Just Graduated" or "Just Married". A few seconds later I was close enough to see it said "Just Divorced". I shook my head and then "Wow, that's sad, offensive, hurtful, and strange all at the same time."

We've all experienced divorce through friends or family. It's seems God gets pretty upset about it, according to the Bible, and even used it as an extremely vivid teaching tool with the Israelites. But it has become a joke in all aspects - the husband-wife relationship, need fulfillment, as a foundation for family member growth and security, on and on.

I sit at work and listen to almost everyone make jokes about how their marriages are "livable". I want to tell them it's not supposed to be that way, it can be the most fulfilling relationship possible and, if done the way God prescribes, everything we dream. It hurts me to see people living in a mediocre marriage, filling their lives with whatever is FUN, and glossing over the priceless treasures their marriage and families are supposed to be.

Sorry if this is too heavy.

I also thought "What things does God cherish that I make a joke of and not realize it?"

3 comments:

  1. almost 20 years! congrat, matee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was that on your way home from work on Monday night that you saw that?

    Did you work on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I worked. And to think if I hadn't worked I wouldn't have seen it. Am i actually trying to comfort myself with that?

    ReplyDelete