Saturday, May 17, 2008

Don't go angry - just go.

Mrs. Pipes and the kids took Pork Chop back to his native country last Thursday. They told me they caught one of his brothers to look at for a while. When they put him back in the little pond he was in he attacked the tadpoles that were nearby. Evidently he destroyed about four or five tadpoles in 30 seconds. They said it was obscenely violent.

Now we're all nervous to go wading in the Sabino waters.

While they were doing that, I was doing a run that has become a great weekly event for me. I've been running on the Phone Line trail. The whole trail is eight miles round trip; I've only completed 5.5 of it. The first half goes through some steep up and down sections - mostly up though. My goal is to run about 30 minutes out and 20 back. The best pace I can keep on the first half is 11-13 mpm with one two minute break.

I shoot for 20 back because it becomes almost a sprint on the way down (that is, if I still have enough stamina and strength to move my feet that fast). It is quite a rush sprinting down a 5% declined trail which is only about 3 ft. wide and has a 30 to 40 foot drop on one side. It's really a blast. It's nice to have the time away, an hour each week where I'm not thinking about anything but not face-planting on the rocks, and the fresh air.

By the way, we now have six or seven tadpoles in our backyard. Always an adventure over here.

Thank you to everyone that paid their respects to Lani last week. The ice cream was great!
These are some pictures taken on the trail when we hiked it with my dad last summer.

1 comment:

  1. Lani went way before her time... thank you for giving her such a thoughtful ulogy.

    You look like your dad.

    ReplyDelete