Tuesday, January 7, 2014

All Fruit Is The Result Of Vibrance On The Inside

Scripture: Romans 7:4 "Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another - to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God."

Observation:
Romans 7:4 forms a bridge between Chapter 6, verse 22 and Chapter 8, verse 2. It says we were brought into this new marriage so that we might produce fruit to God (of righteousness, which is repeated from the end of Chapter 6). And then 8:2 says that the law of the Spirit of life has made me free from the law of sin and death.

As Paul is transitioning from the theological to the practical beginning in Chapter 6, he first establishes the theological foundation for what God expects as the right practice of our faith. Paul also knows he must address some of the questions, responses, or objections one might have when he tells us in Chapter 6 that we are to "not let sin reign in our mortal bodies" and that "sin shall not have dominion over" us.

Application: I've never really seen that Paul put so much emphasis on correct living in the beginning of Romans until this time through using the SOAP. But in perfect Paul fashion his focus is not ultimately on a program, code or method, but rather on the spiritual and inner source of the physical and external action.

As an overview so far I've seen Paul teach that (not an exhaustive list):
1. I am to reckon myself in my mind as being dead to sin.
2. I am to cease from judging others in my heart.
3. I am to comprehend in my mind and heart the hope I have in God that will aid me in distress and trouble.
4. I am to consider myself alive to God and married to God through Jesus.
5. I am to not doubt God's favor toward me or His ability to make good on His promises.

All of these thing are part of a mental state, an understanding, which must be in place if I am to overcome my sinful tendencies through Jesus and "bear fruit to God."

Prayer: Lord, please help me to have the mind of Christ. I long to love others as You love them and me
. Thank you for saving me! I love You! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment