Tuesday, March 5, 2013

What Would Drive God to Wipe Us Out?

Scripture: Genesis 6:13 "And God said to Noah, 'The end of all flesh has come before me, for the land is filled with violence through them; and behold, I will destroy them with the land.' "

Observation: Based off the last journal man had been populating the land for 1565 years. In that time God had passed over much sin. He finally determined that He would no longer pass over sin because of the extensiveness of it. Of all sthe ins occurring, violence was especially abhorrent to God. This is repeated in verse 11.

Why violence? What about violence would be so specifically heinous? Were the land full of lies or idolatry or covetousness would he have done the same thing? Violence is the result of a complete disregard for God. Violence ignores that God is life, love, creation, peace, beauty, purity and joy. Violence also ignores that God is judge, the only righteous one, and the only holy one. Violence not only ignores God as God, but by it we clearly display that we have put ourselves in the place of judge and executioner. All victims of the violence have become subjects (in my mind). In other words, I am god and I deal judgment and wrath out as I see fit.

I cannot be naive about this though - anger and violence are from the same heart. Anger toward my son is from the same root that murdering my son would sprout from. They are not two branches of sin; they are one branch with violence simply being further out on the branch from the trunk.

Truly, at its core violence is destructive. God builds up. Satan's goal is to destroy everything God builds. Ultimately, violence both glorifies, and is the chief aim of, Satan. Therefore, what this text says is that all the world but one man was worshipping and acting as accomplice to God's enemy.

Application: Purity your heart, Dale. Consider carefully where violence (and its root) exists in my heart and life. Do I entertain myself with violent movies? Do I joke about destructive and violent things? Is death, abuse, or physical, verbal or emotional violence in any way humorous to me? Do I laugh at it? Do I act in anger or violent ways toward others? The word of God implores me in contrast: "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue or if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8.

Prayer: Sanctify me Father. I want to love You with all my soul, strength, body, and heart. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment