Sunday, March 31, 2013

They Will See God

Scripture: Genesis 21:16-17 "So [Hagar] sat opposite [ Ishmael], and lifted her voice and wept. Then God heard the voice of the lad. Then the angel of God called to Hagar out of heaven, and said to her, "What ails you, Hagar? Fear not, for God has heard the voice of the lad where he is."

Observation: By all means, the descendants of Ishmael should have continued in worshipping God. Here God did amazing things for their patriarch. This is consistent with the rest of Genesis that describes how God has spread His name and great glory to every tribe and nation in the world. Everyone, everywhere is held responsible for worshipping the True God and truly we have great reason to.

This is also the second time that Hagar met The God Who Sees. He once again saw her hurt. This is another display of God's personalized and intimate concern and caring for each of us. The Bible is full of examples of the ways God has demonstrated what He can do and how He calls us to submit ourselves to His ways and to believe in faith that they are the best thing for us, and that He will care for us.

Application: God's promise to greatly bless Ishmael based on her faith and His will is convicting... and encouraging.

I often read the Bible and take obedience only so far. When He says "Let nothing come from your mouth except what is encouraging" (Ephesians 4:29), He can't really mean that, right? I mean, "nothing"? Admonishments against anger, gossip, sexual lusting - the Bible says eliminate it all but He doesn't really expect me to completely forgo things that may cause me to sin in those ways, does He?

Doesn't He know what that would mean? Where would it end? I would end up being a wierdo in other's eyes! How would I relate to people if I don't take in the the latest movies and TV, sports, or parties? Or stay current on news and Hollywood happenings.

But the word is "Be holy... as I am holy" (1 Peter 1:15-16).

It says, "Whoever is ashamed of Me and My word in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of the Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:38).

Jesus said, "Whoever loves father or mother more than Me is not worhty of Me..." (Matthew 10:37). If I am to put God and His word before and above even my family (when there is a contradiction), I should certainly put Him and obedience to His word before and above recreation and pleasure.

Even more specific are Paul's words in Philippians 4:8: "Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy, meditate on these things."

I will entrust it to the Holy Spirit to tell me what and how much to leave - what it means for me to pick up my cross and to crucify the flesh.

Prayer: Father, I desire to obey You in this truth. At the same time I could become legalist in this. That's a danger. The only way I know for it not to be merely adherence to a set of do's and do not's is for my motivation to be the reward of joy, happiness and fulfillment found only in sweet relationship with You. As Jesus said, "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God!" God, I want to see You!
Help me to act in accordance with that desire. I need to remember that You are a greater joy, a deeper satisfier, a stronger pleasure than anything and everything in this world; like the sun eclipsing the stars, they are nothing before You. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment