Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Isaac the Peacemaker

Scripture: Genesis 26:22 and 24, "And [Isaac] moved from there and dug another well, and they did not quarrel over it. So he called its name Rehoboth (Spaciousness), because he said, 'For now the Lord has made room for us and we shall be fruitful in the land.' And the Lord appeared to him the same night..."

Observation: Isaac was rich at this point (vs 16).

Isaac gave God the praise for peace.

Isaac was pursuing peace at all costs. Verse 16 tells us Isaac could have overpowered Abimelech's men.

God appeared to Isaac after Isaac passed a test of integrity and faithfulness to God.

In every way this passage brings to mind Matthew 5:8-9 "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God."

Isaac said he would "prosper" after finally finding peace because, even though he was rich before, prosperity is made up of much more than material wealth.

This is a situation between men - neighbors - not nations. This should not be used to imply that there is no time or justification for war. Peace is a coward's substitute for righteous action when evil men are committing evil atrocities. I won't blaspheme and slight God's character by purporting that He would rather we hide from, ignore or "move away" from wicked nations who suppress and mistreat people.

Application:
Isaac exemplifies the extent to which I must go to preserve peace and not love violence or confrontation. Isaac was in the right the entire time and yet never pressed his "right" for vengeance. Who am I at conflict with? Am I fueling that in my heart or visibly with animosity in any way? Have I reserved certain relationships for myself, away from God, in which I retain my "right" to not be a peacemaker?

And this isn't a static thing. Jesus didn't say, "Blessed are the peacefinders..." but rather "peacemakers". This is much, much harder. It's usually painful to demonstrate love as 1 Corinthians 13 describes in order to find unity or peace.

Remember that I have peace with God, not because of what I have done, but because of what He has done. Romans 5:1, "Therefore having been justified by faith we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ."

Prayer: Lord, make me a peacemaker, for I want to see You. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment