Sunday, February 10, 2013

Do It Heartily

Scripture: Genesis 30:27 "And Laban said to [Jacob], 'Please stay, if I have found favor in your eyes, for I have learned by experience that the Lord has blessed me for your sake.'"

Observation: Laban had not been honest or fair to Jacob and yet Jacob worked hard.

Laban recognized that he was the recipient of God's blessings because of Jacob's presence and work.

The term "general grace" is sometimes used to describe God's act of showing goodness to all in an equitable way (Luke 6:35, "For God is kind to the unthankful and evil."). For example, the Lord provides food, sun, and rain to the earth for all. And the Revelation says that God's will sustains and upholds all life. But God also has "specific grace", which is directed in an intentional way to bring glory to Himself and to fulfill His will (Ephesians 1:11).

Application: Jacob's experience with Laban is an example to me that I ought to work hard for my employer, and in every other area of my life. A Christian should never have the reputation of being lazy or unmotivated for two reasons.

First, the presence and blessing of God in us is meant to pour over onto those around us. If I act as "the salt of the earth" the way I am supposed to, my boss will be blessed with encouraged and positive employees, workers will provide fair work for the wages, and the effects of sin will be help back to some extent in the work environment.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, Laban praised God for Jacob's sake just as God blessed Laban for Jacob's sake. My purpose in life is to bring glory to God - anything less is sin. I've been created for good works (Ephesians 2:10) and shame to me if I don't do that which I'm designed to do.

Prayer: Lord, help me to serve You by serving others and to honor You by honoring others. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment