Monday, January 17, 2011

Independance Day, 2010

     The time between Memorial Day and Independance Day was pretty uneventful, but here is the jist. 

     Sometime around the end of May an evangelist came from the states that had written a book outlining a program for memorizing Scripture.  I found this to be a great answer to prayer for me because I had began memorizing about a year prior with some success.  I had put to memory all of Ephesians, chapter 2 when I found out I was deploying/PCSing to Korea because of the content concerning the peace and identity that we have through the gospel of Christ.  I thought that would be valuable during the separation. 

     Anyway, the program was very methodical and simple.  I started putting it to use right away and it has been one of the biggest blessings in my entire life.  Even though I've memorized a lot of verses since then and am now nearing the end of putting all of 1 Peter to memory, that is really just a side note.  The thrust of it is that of the sure doctrinal foundation that God has built me upon through it.  I've always known a Christian should be able to comply with 1  Peter 3:15 "but sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meakness and fear."  I'm thankful for this experience because I believe I am much nearer to that charge. 

     To me, this is another example of the truth that God works in each of our lives in a way that provides for a continuous and consistent growth toward Christ-likeness and that He does so for the specific time and place that we are each experiencing.

     Beyond that, during May, June and July I was preparing for the mid-tour with my family and doing college courses.  I had made a plan to complete a lot of my school work and that plan worked out, but God had better plans for me that I submitted to for the remainder of the year.  The only trip that I took during those months was on the 4th of July with the Haveners.

     I can't even tell you the name of the area we went to but it was a great time.  We drove all the way down the seawall and went to a beach at the end of it.  The afternoon was full of good food, activities, and a hike.

     No 4th of July is complete without fried chicken so Popeye's took care of that for us!  When we proceeded to the beach.  We organized a kickball game which is tough in the sand.  It became even harder to round second base with the infield covered in jellyfish.  In the end, we had a good time and lost no soccerballs to the sea.
 
     
     






    
     Afterward, we hiked around the cliffs of the shore.  I've loved the land of Korea since I flew over it back in February. 


 And, of course, there was some curousing... 

   
     Here's a few more classic pics of Korea, which I have grown to appreciate so much more now that I've been here for so long.



I think the key to really enjoying the time here is to embrace the culture.
  

This is random, but beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment