Saturday, August 30, 2014

Is He Wholly Holy To Me?

Scripture: 
Exodus 28:42 "... when [Aaron and his sons] come into the tabernacle of meeting, or when they come  near the alter to minister in the holy place, that they do not incur iniquity (or guilt) and die... "
Exodus 29:1 "And this is what you shall do to them to hallow them for ministering to Me as priests...."

Observation: The emphasis on God's holiness throughout the O.T. is unmistakeable. God made it clear that we are unqualified to be near him. The only reason given for this prohibition is God's holiness. Am I even able to grasp God's holiness? I almost want to say "that level of holiness", but I suppose there aren't levels of holiness, and aside from actually encountering God, I suppose I'll never understand exactly how high, how supreme, how pure, how unattainable, how excellent, how inhuman, and how flawless holiness actually is.

Application: I must define holiness, which is the foundation of all relationships to him, by its revelation in Scripture. The more that I pursue a clearer grasp of holiness, the more all other aspects of my existence and salvation will become valuable and precious. I miss the importance of holiness because Jesus' sacrifice has shielded me from much of the O.T. law, but that also leaves me constantly in danger of trampling his grace, scorning his mercy, and belittling his holiness. If I malign these, I also scorn my savior, who is the express image of the Father.

Prayer: I am pretty speechless this morning. Forgive me. I am full of evil. You are so beyond me. May I see you and worship you rightly. You deserve my love and full devotion. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment