Monday, August 18, 2014

Laws, Laws, Laws - Part I

Scripture: Exodus Chapters 21-24, The Beginning of the Law

Observation: There are few laws in these chapters that don't make much sense to me. By that I mean, I don't understand the "why" of them or I don't get how they are righteous... how do they line up with God's righteous and holy character?

Here they are:
21:7 - A father can sell his daughter as a slave. The verse says more than that, and in actuality, it doesn't prescribe the selling of children; it just provides for protections of them if it does happen.

21:32 - If an ox causes the death of another person's servant, the repayment for the servant was about $200 in today's valuation of silver. In the previous few verses God says the the same animal could cause the death of a son or daughter or any other person and the consequence is death (capital punishment was only commanded in the case where the owner knew that his ox had a history of being violent and aggressive, so the owner's death was punishment for his irresponsible negligence). Why the difference in consequence?

23:19 - "You shall not boil a young goat in its mother's milk" I don't get this, but it's also not that difficult to obey (for me anyway).

Application: So, that's the totality of the laws that I don't understand in these 4 chapters
. I can't really apply these three, but the rest of them (and there are a bunch) make perfect sense to me. The laws are really just describing how to love God, love people, take responsibility for my actions and inactions, and how to rightly recuperate the loss of other people's property if I bear the responsibility for the losses.

Prayer: Lord, I know that a people need a law in order to survive and to have a peaceful and happy life. Please help me to obey our nation's laws and to love others. And please help me to understand why these three laws meet with Your righteous character and what the application from them is for my life. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment