Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Key to... Whatever.

I realized something new today. Our youngest puppy, Pippin, is highly distractable. I'm not sure if it is because he's a dog or because he is a boy, or a combination of both. Either way, he rarely gets to finish his desert when it is "bone time" in the Sickels' home. Inevitably he will see some shiny thing and wander for a moment. Suddenly, like a phantom, Tutsie swoops in and rescues Pippen's bone from the neglect which it has been subjected to.

When I was younger I thought life was about doing great things, which I defined as something monumental which would write my name is history. I suppose I expected those things to fall into my lap in a day, too. Talk about setting myself up for disappointment. The years have taught me a couple things: (1) value the present and those things which I have now because those are the things which will turn into monumental achievements tomorrow (for example, what's the first thought that comes to mind when someone says they've been married 65 years?) and (2) regardless of what talents we have and the presence of other important character traits which generally contribute lead to success in whatever our goals are only prove themselves valuable if they are accompanied by consistency.

A few consistent things that have helped me get places I wanted to be:
1. God's love and patience.
2. An established date night with my wife.
3. Separating Friday as a family activities night.
4. Time reading, studying, memorizing, and journaling about God's word.
5. Learning Spanish (I'm not claiming to be good at it, but I've learned more than I thought I would).
6. Finishing my Baccalaureate Degree - indeed every class was an 8-week Consistency Test for me.

A few things in which I've been inconsistent that have turned out great:
1.
2.
3.

I'm not sure how to teach Pippin consistency with his bone chewing. Any advice out there? I just hate seeing him get owned every night by the treat ninja.

See you again in 15 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment