Monday, November 9, 2015

You Reap and I Sow

Scripture: Galatians 5:7 "for whatever one sows, that will he also reap."

Observation: People are bound by this law which God has designed: "we reap what we sow." Important to remember is that God does not declare rules for which he is not also the perfect display. Thus, Jesus sowed an incredible life of service to God and gained for himself eternal life by fulfilling each and every part of the law via perfect obedience. However, Jesus has no need to reap eternal life for himself because he in himself is eternal life. Therefore, Jesus offers to us the opportunity to reap what he has sown. We have not worked the work (because in fact we cannot work the work that Jesus worked when he fulfilled every part of the law [ref. Romans 8:3-4]), but we get to reap the reward.

What did Jesus in fact sow? In other words, what are the characteristics of the life which he sowed and reaped? He sowed healthy relationships. He sowed a right attitude toward money. He sowed faithfulness toward God and others. He sowed forgiveness. He sowed patience. He sowed comforting. He sowed compassion. He sowed sincerity. He sowed justice. He sowed mercy. He sowed zeal for God. He sowed righteous working for God's kingdom. He sowed holiness. He sowed soundness of perspective and sight. And he asks us, "Who will come reap from my abundant harvest?"

Application: We, through Jesus, may now be given all of the life that Jesus has reaped . . . reaping that life in all of its character and details. Believe in what Jesus has done, believe in what Jesus has promised to do in the future, and believe what Jesus has said he will do for us in the present.

Prayer: Father, you alone are good and able to satisfy me with true life. I confess that I try almost daily to do the impossible--to earn eternal life. I ignore the offer of life and the Spirit who is my power and means for actually living in life. I attempt to define "life" in my own way and then I pursue that however I think it should be pursued. Would you change me? Please sour my taste for what an unbelieving world holds up as life. Please replace it with a lusting for you and the pleasures that you eagerly hold out to me. I don't ask you to remove my "want" for a great life. I ask for you to redirect that "want" to the table of your delights. I love you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment