Wednesday, November 25, 2015

I Hear You

Scripture: Luke 11:13 "If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him."

Observation: Clearly Luke chose "the Holy Spirit" intentionally when he recorded Jesus' instructions on the need to pray, pray specifically, pray frequently, pray expectantly, pray passionately, pray with faith, pray unguardedly, and pray confidently. But such a response--the promise of the Holy Spirit--seems, at first, strange. It seems strange until I begin to see God Himself as the first and greatest answer to prayer.

What do I mean by that? Jesus main point in this context is that God will give good things to his children when they ask. Thus, Jesus' promise that the Holy Spirit is a sure gift to the asker makes perfect sense--God Himself is the greatest good! God seeks those that will first and foremost pursue him and desire him when they or those they care about face struggles, hardship, and lack in this life (Matt. 6:33).

Proverbs 30:8-9 says ". . . give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' or lest I be poor and steal
 and profane the name of my God." In this Proverb the writer is expressing his passion for God. He asks God to arrange his life in such a way that it does not become a hindrance to his faith in God nor a distraction from his pursuit of God. Priority #1 is the experience of God and with that God will fill all the gaps that are bound to come. In this Proverb the request centers around money, but it applies to fame and shame, health and sickness, popularity and loneliness, and accomplishment and failure alike.

But is this a right request? I see a danger in it. There is a sense in which I could pray for a life free of extremes under the auspice of "contentment," but while contentment is good (Heb. 13:5), when it comes to our desire for God it is a poor descriptor.

Therein lies the danger.

I do not need to be reserved in my pursuit of God. As C. S. Lewis wrote, I am not unfilled because my passions are too lofty. I am dissatisfied with things in my life because my passions are too base! I wallow in the mud seeking treasure when all the while the purest and strongest pleasures which are only found in God Himself are offered freely to me. My fervor is set on a target too low. In seeking contentment, I have mistakenly categorized the relationship with my Creator with cookies, cars, square footage of my home, and accolades among my profession! Be content with such things as I have, but be content with no less than the fullness of God!

Application:
Pray. Pray specifically. Pray frequently. Pray expectantly. Pray passionately. Pray with faith. Pray unguardedly. Pray confidently.

Believe that Psalm 16:11 is true. Treasure the presence and knowledge of God like a suitor cherishes being with and learning about his betrothed.

Prayer: . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment