Monday, May 6, 2013

What Kind Of Fuel Is Running Our Engine?

Scripture: Genesis 39:9 "[Joseph said] there is no one greater in [Potiphar's] house than I, nor has he kept back anything from me but you, because you are his wife. How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?"

Observation: On the heals of two chapters in which God's sovereignty over our actions and even thoughts is emphasized, the narration now comes to a change of pace. Or does it?

I get the sense as I read through Joseph's experience in Potiphar's home and his incarceration that God has "taken a liking" to Joseph. In verses 2, 3, 5, 6 (in a way), 21, and 23 Moses repeatedly shows or states that God poured blessing after blessing on David, but even more so on David's work. Nothing he did failed. All he was responsible for abounded with growth, blessing and praise from those around him. The question I ask is, Why? There's really nothing in the narrative leading up to this that indicates Joseph deserved great blessing for his extreme faithful to God.

I think the answer appears very quietly and is almost mentioned as an after thought. At the end of verse 9 Joseph says "... how can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?" If Joseph would have surrendered to Potiphar's wife, I would have normally perceived it to be a sin against Potiphar - not God - but in this response Joseph reveals his heart in two ways:

1. He acknowledged that the fact that Potiphar had given him everything in his house (well, almost everything) only happened because God brought it about. Joseph knew that every blessing, authority, and freedom comes from God's hand. James said it like this: "Every good and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning." Paul echoes the sentiment: "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God." (Romans 13:1) Peter wrote, "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God that He may exalt you in due time." (1 Peter 4:6) Joseph knew that God put Potiphar's house under Joseph's rule, not Potiphar.

2. Joseph's work ethic was driven by the glorious worth that he attributed to God and by the joy of serving and loving Him. He could not turn against a God that loved him so much! Joseph knew that sin separated him from his Lord. What joy would a one-night stand have given compared to the Highest Joy in existence? The temporal pleasures of sexual intimacy stolen from its proper abode would have tasted as so much mud, filth and sewage when placed on the same plate as the only true eternally satisfying Feast for man's heart.

Application: Though my body is currently chained to this world, my heart and mind ought to ever be turned to my Lord, the only true Hope. "Set your mind on things above, not on things on earth."(Colossians 3:2; really all of 3:1-4)

Prayer: Father, may I bring You glory always. May You ever be in my mind and heart. May I set, place, establish, build, found my actions on You, my Redeemer, Savior, and Hope. I love You. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment