Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Living the Dream

I now have 2713 days left in the Air Force until I'm retirement eligible.  Maybe blogging about that is like my daughter saying she has six years until graduation.  It's a little early, hey?

The retirement concept in the military is a little different because it's really just preparation for another job.  So then I'm left thinking about what that job will be and how I should prepare for it.  But how do I prepare for something I don't know?  Here's my game plan which will probably get revised often, but I thought it would be good to have it here to look back on one day and think "That's funny."

1. Pray.  That sounds like the church answers I hear from my kids: "God" "love" "Jesus" "the Bible."  I tell my kids that those answers are great when they are correct answers.  So as you've all seen from the past prayer is something I consider on a practical rather than religious level.  So I'll pray about... well, I'm not all together sure yet.  I probably need some more brainwashing and better glasses, frankly.

2. Focus on improving the skills that God has placed before me now.  They may only be needful at this time of my life, or they may be a stepping stone.  Either way, those skills are worth the attention.

3. Watch those that God has placed around me (friends, family).  God has provided me with amazing friends and family who love God and teach me daily how to pursue dreams and desires in a healthy way.

4. Don't obsess over what job or activity I'll be doing; God's plans are always about the people that we will have influence on and about His glory - not me and mine.

So that's the "road map."  It's not very definitive, but really how can it be when the Bible says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and not on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths."  and "A man’s heart plans his way, but the LORD directs his steps." and "A man’s steps are of the LORD; How then can a man understand his own way?"

While I'm thinking about this, does anyone have any suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. Pastor, youth pastor, or what ever the military trained you in can you use that in the civilian world? Until then, you are on the right track. I have the same questions, I ask GOD for guidance and then pursue what ever interests me and ask GOD to open or close doors in those areas of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What SHOULD you be doing? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What SHOULD I be doing? Hanging with my friends in Tucson... hee hee

    ReplyDelete