Sunday, October 19, 2014

Missing The Point and Missing The End

Scripture: Exodus 14:12 "Is this not the word that we told you in Egypt, saying, 'Let us alone that we may serve the Egyptians'? For it would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than that we should die in the wilderness."

Observation: The Israelites' attitude raise questions for me.

1. What would it take to desire death more than slavery? What would my thoughts on slavery to sin need to include for me to choose death in freedom over life in shackles?

2. The larger story of the Exodus obviously means for the attitudes of the Israelites to be viewed as unfaithful to God and as wrong. What did these people know about God? What did they not know about him that would cause them to doubt his love, care and protection?

3. Faith in God can in large part be defined as trusting God at his word. In this the Exodus generation failed, with few exceptions, and therefore failed to inherit the promised land and the eternal promise of life. Can we possibly call our doubt and complaining against God and our disobedience to his written word and will "faith" and expect to inherit eternal life?

Application: I often look at the "bigger" and, in a way, easier visible accomplishments with pride and consider myself faithful to God. In truth, I focus on those things and ignore or gloss over the simple but more necessary commands of daily life like mercy, patience, love, kindness, self-control, self-sacrifice, abstinence from evil, etc. Which does God emphasize? Proverbs 21:3 tells me.

Prayer: I can only ask for mercy and grace. Holy Spirit, transform me to the image of Christ. Make me humble and obedient to you. I love you, God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment