Thursday, February 11, 2016

Take Me To Your Leader

Scripture: Luke 20:1-8 "One day, as Jesus was teaching the people in the temple and preaching the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes with the elders came up and said to him, 'Tell us by what authority you do these things, or who it is that gave you this authority.' He answered them, 'I also will ask you a question. Now tell me, was the baptism of John from heaven or from man?' And they discussed it with one another, saying, 'If we say, "From heaven," he will say, "Why did you not believe him?" But if we say, "From man," all the people will stone us to death, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.' So they answered that they did not know where it came from. And Jesus said to them, 'Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.'"

Observation:
The religious leaders of the day challenged Jesus’ authority. How did they go about it? They did so by their own claim to authority. We know from other passages in the gospels that the pharisees were greedy and unjust and selfishly motivated. It makes sense that they would feel so threatened by a man who calls them out and brings repudiation to their position. Thus, in fear of losing power they demand an answer from Jesus. In ignorance, they sought to enslave the God they purported to serve. Jesus refused them that authority. They, by their question, implied he to be lower than them. They demanded an answer and Jesus replied by reaffirming his independence and preeminence.

Furthermore, it is not just to those that ask sinfully that Jesus withholds the resolution to some requests. He often does not answer the cancer patient, the barren mother, the orphaned child, and the abandoned spouse just as he did with the pharisees. What is the difference then? Jesus responses are categorically different based strictly on our heart's approach to the throne. Psalm 18:27 says, "For you will save the humble people, but will bring down haughty looks." And so it is.

Application:
Guard my heart from arrogance. Jesus is the authority over all things, so when I seek an answer, guard my heart from a wrong expectation just as the clay cannot demand an answer from the potter.

He will not answer all questions, but he will be wholly faithful, loving, and patient as I struggle through that which I don’t understand.

Prayer:

1 comment:

  1. I must admit that it has been a while since I had read your blogs, that being said. Based on your blogs, the Lord has continued to grow you and your family since the time we were hanging out at the Haven in S. Korea. I enjoy your post and I think I am inspired to continue my own sort of writing though uncertain the avenue. I feel encouraged by the Lord to stay sharp in my educational studies of Scripture and have of late become lax. So thank the Lord that I was prompted to read your current blogs

    ReplyDelete